ST. VITH (BE) Monument to the 106th Infantry Division
MANHAY (BE) Monument to the 424th I.R. and 7th Armored
A new monument honoring the valiant combat actions of the 424th Infantry Regiment and units of the 7th Armored Division during the period of 25-27 December 1944 was inaugurated on 17 December 2017. The monument is placed at the edge of the field through which the 424th attacked twice and lost many men. The initiative for the building of this monument was taken by the Ardennes History Remember 44-45 association.
GPS coordinates 50°17’40,3”N 5°40’15,6”E.
Updated 8 May 2018
LAUDESFELD (DE) Memorial to the Lost 500
This monument consists of a small wooden etched plaque. It is dedicated to the fivehundred men of the 106th Infantry Division who continued to resist the Germans from 19 till 21 December 1944 at the location of the 422nd Infantry Regimental Motor pool near Laudesfeld, Germany. These men were faced with overwhelming German forces and risked annihilation by enemy artillery. No help would follow from Allied forces, who were by then fighting at the gates of St. Vith, some twenty miles to the west. The men were forced to surrender on the 21st and most were sent to Stalag IV-B at Mühlberg an der Elbe.
The monument to the Lost 500 was unofficially inaugurated in October 2011 by Carl Wouters and Herbert Sheaner, who was a member of this defense in December 1944. Mr. Sheaner was at that time the President of the 106th Infantry Division Association Inc.
GPS Coordinates 50°17'19.3"N 6°18'10.0"E
Update 12 July 2016
BARAQUE DE FRAITURE (BE) Monument at Parker's Crossroads
SPINEUX (BE) Monument to the 424th and 112th RCT's
GROSSLANGENFELD (DE) Memorial to the 106th Recon Troop
This small but poignant memorial is located in the village of Grosslangenfeld, in December 1944 the home of the 106th Reconnaissance Troop. The Troop fought heavily with elements of the German 62nd Volksgrenadier Division and the village was almost entirely destroyed. Sixty years after the end of the conflict, this memorial was inaugurated by Josef Reusch, a former member of the 560th VGD and himself a Battle of the Bulge veteran. His son-in-law Doug Mitchell is currently the caretaker of this fitting memorial to the soldiers of both sides. A new plaque was fitted to the monument in January 2015.
GPS Coordinates 50°13'15.5"N 6°15'11.7"E
Update 12 July 2016
ENNAL (BE) Monument to the 424th Infantry Regiment
A memorial in honor of the 424th Combat Infantry Regiment was inaugurated on September 28, 2008 at the small town of Ennal, near Grand-Halleux. The ceremony was presided over by men of a local non-profit organisation in cooperation with the Museum of the Battle of the Salm and the Bulge (also at Ennal). The beautiful monument, which consists of two crossed M1 Garand Rifles on a stone base, was well conceived and a commemorative plaque tells the story of the capture of Ennal by the men of the 424th.
On the 15th of January 1945, the 424th Infantry Regiment was ordered to retake the town and the high ground to the east. With K-Company protecting the left flank of the 2nd Battalion, Fox Company of the 424th took the town by night assault after attacks during the day had stalled due to concentrated fire from German positions in the houses. Brigadier General Herbert T. Perrin, acting commander of the division, went up with his troops during the attack. At the peak of furious house-to-house fighting, Perrin discovered his gun had fallen out of his shoulder holster while he was crawling through the mud and snow.
The inauguration ceremony was attended by Sgt. Charles "Chuck" Lowery of Company "I", 424th Infantry Regiment, who was wounded in action during the Battle of the Bulge. He was accompanied by his wife Mary. Sergeant Lowery was given the honorary citizenship of the town of Vielsalm by deputy-mayor and council president of the commune of Vielsalm, Jacques Gennen.
GPS Coordinates 50°19'43.7"N 5°55'35.6"E
Update 12 July 2016
RENCHEUX (BE) Salm River Bridge memorial
On September 7th 2013, during Belgium’s liberation weekend, a new memorial for the Battle of the Bulge was inaugurated at Rencheux, near Vielsalm.
In December 1944 the road bridge across the Salm River at Rencheux was the site of a courageous holding action by units of the 82nd Airborne Division. Their mission was to keep the roads open for American units making their way out of the St. Vith pocket and halt the German spearhead. Not far from the bridge, at the Belgian Army barracks for the Chasseurs Ardennais, General Alan Jones had installed the 106th division rear command post. Several units of the division, such as the 591st FA and at least one battalion of the 424th Infantry, made their way to Rencheux and crossed the bridge. They moved back to the area around Chêne-al-Pierre to regroup for the Manhay battle around Christmas 1944.
The idea for the Rencheux monument came from the C47 Club Inc. and it’s Ardennes Salm River Chapter members Eddy Lamberty, Claude Orban and Erik Van der Hoeven. They were dedicated to honor both the defenders and the crossers for their valiant participation in the liberation of Belgium and devised this poignant memorial. We owe them our sincere thanks and congratulations for the realization of the project.
The ceremony commenced with Eddy Lamberty and Dutch historian Erik Van Der Hoeven setting the historical context and their announcement of a book that is soon to be published about the battle at Rencheux. In his speech, C47 Club Inc. president Ed Lapotsky emphasized the importance of remembering the sacrifices made during WWII and symbolized the missing soldiers by two helmets and an empty flag-draped chair. The commune of Vielsalm was represented by mayor Elie Leblire and I was honored to say a few words in name of the 106th, the division being one of the crossing units. Speeches were followed by a wreath and flower laying at the monument and a post-ceremony reception.
Since 2013 several markers have been added to the monument, honoring various units that fought in the Rencheux sector: the 320th Dutch RAF squadron, the Belgian SAS and the US 75th Infantry Division.
GPS Coordinates 50°17'14.8"N 5°54'44.6"E
Update 12 July 2016
Flag bearers and a USAF Color Guard are lined up next to the new Rencheux monument on September 7th during the unvailing ceremony.
WERETH (BE) Monument to the GI's of the 333rd Field Artillery
In September 2010, 106th Infantry Division veteran Floyd Ragsdale attended the commemorations at Wereth. Left to right: Carl Wouters, Floyd Ragsdale, Gayla Holmes (daughter of Captain Clark Worell, 3rd Armored Division), Connie Baesman (daughter of Lieutenant Gerald Pratt, 590th Field Artillery) and Sofie Van Keer.
BASTOGNE (BE) Mardasson Memorial - 106th Division
STAVELOT (BE) Monument to the liberators
The Golden Lion of the 106th Division is represented on a plaque near the Abbey of Stavelot, located in the Rue du Chatelet. During the counteroffensive in January 1945 Stavelot was the headquarters of the 106th Infantry Division. From Stavelot the 424th Infantry Regiment moved out towards Hénumont and Wanne.
GPS Coordinates 50°23'38.0"N 5°55'50.3"E
Update 14 July 2016
POTEAU (BE) Monument to the 14th Cavalry Group
A small marker remembers visitors of the battle that took place at Poteau on 18 December 1944. Task Force Mayes, consisting of units of the 18th and 32nd Cavalry Reconaissance Squadrons, was attacked by Kampfgruppe Hansen of the 1st SS Panzer Division as they moved towards Recht. The column was badly shot up, resulting in the death of Henry Breuninger and Charles Yost of Troop "A", 18th Cavalry. The marker was placed at the scene in 2004 by Jacqueline and Rob de Ruyter of the now defunct Ardennen Poteau '44 Museum. It closed in 2014 after burglars stole most of the collection. The marker is located approximately 400 yards north of the former museum on the right side of the road, in the direction of Recht.
UPDATE: After the Ardennen Poteau '44 Museum closed, the historic site became neglected. The stone monument dedicated to the Cavalry Ambush slowly disappeared under the grass and plant life. In the summer of 2018 the stone was broken in several pieces when farming equipment accidentally drove over it, hidden in the tall grass. The pieces of the broken stone were taken for safe keeping and plans are made for a replacement stone. We will keep you updated on the progress.
GPS Coordinates 50°18'53.8"N 6°01'07.3"E
Update 23 July 2016